We have another Spring recipe ready just for you. We’ve called this recipe potato and spring onion pancakes, but if you’re like me, you might expect something sweet when you hear pancakes. So another name for this could be Potato and Spring onion potatocakes.
- 140g floury potatoes (weighed after peeling)
- 50g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 5 tbsp milk
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- knob of butter
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon (smoked or unsmoked)
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of salted water and boil until tender. Drain well, tip back into the pan, shake for 1 min over a gentle heat to dry them off, then mash and leave to cool.
- Put the cooled mash in a bowl with the flour and bicarb. Whisk 1 egg with the milk, season, tip into the bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the spring onions, reserving some to serve.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat half the oil and butter until sizzling, then spoon in half the pancake batter to make 3 pancakes. Cook for 1 min or so on each side until browned and set underneath, then flip and cook the other side. Keep warm in the oven while you make 3 more pancakes.
- Wipe out the pan, add the bacon and sizzle until almost crisp. Push to one side and crack in the 2 remaining eggs – with a splash more oil if needed. Fry to your liking, then serve with the pancakes and bacon, sprinkled with the remaining spring onions.
Check out another of our Spring recipe inspirations, rhubarb and lemon cookies!