We like to find fun things for you and your kids to do and make. We think these will remind you of tasty mini pizzas, the children will have to much fun decorating them. We recommend cooking these on the BBQ but could just as easily be done in the grill on in the oven.
Ingredients (for the flatbread)
- 500g strong plain bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 x 7g packet fast action dried yeast
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- a little sunflower oil, for brushing
Ingredients (for the sauce)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
Ingredients (for the topping)
- sliced mozzarella or your favourite cheese
- handful of rocket
- chopped baby plum tomatoes
- Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Dissolve the yeast in 300ml warm water
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the yeast/water mixture. Stir until the water is incorporated.
- Add olive oil and bring the dough together.
- Transfer to a clean surface (lightly floured, if needed) and knead for 5-10 minutes until you have an elastic, smooth dough. Or alternatively put it in a mixer for 10 minutes.
- Put it back in the bowl, cover with a cloth and set aside to prove for an hour.
Meanwhile… make the tomato sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan with the garlic and cook gently for a few minutes until pale golden.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have a thick sauce. Season; set aside to cool.
- Divide the dough into six and, on a floured surface.
- Roll out each piece into thin discs. Cover with a cloth as they are ready, while you prepare the rest.
- Brush the sunflower oil on the hot barbecue rack, then place a few flatbreads directly on it for a few minutes, until golden and bubbles start to form.
- Turn them over, smear with a layer of the tomato sauce and scatter with toppings. When the underside is golden, remove from the heat and repeat with the remaining discs.
These are such tasty treats and make your children feel a part of the BBQ. If you wanted you could add your favourite meaty toppings too, like pepperoni, ham and chicken!
We’d love to see your creations. Send any of your fun pizza creations to firstname.lastname@example.org and they might be featured on our blog or social media!